Talentica - Principal Software Engineer - NLP/Data Mining (3-6 yrs)
The Company :
Talentica Software is a boutique software development company started by ex-IITB grads and industry veterans. It is a privately held company. The company is 15years old and 400+ employees work exclusively for startups as Tech Partners taking them from a Series-A position to Series-B position and possible acquisition (for example Citrus Pay).
We have built products for over 100 startups, most of them are based in the Bay Area or Europe. These startups come to us primarily because we know the issues that plague startup product development and the solutions for the same, thereby improving their success chances. Owing to the unique space we are in, we deal extensively with cutting edge technology.
As of today, there are close to 50 startups whose product is being built by engineers atTalentica. 90% of these companies are headquartered in the Bay Area or East-Coast region of the US. Some of them are seed funded, and some are Series-A or Series-B funded by leading Venture Capitalists. These startups include FinTech companies with big banks as their sponsors, Wireless technology companies with funding from Google Ventures, E-commerce companies riding on the BlockChain revolution, and Companies involved in building products targeting computational biology.
Data Science Team :
- The data science team works under the purview of the Technology Excellence Group at Talentica Software. The goal of this team is to solve problems and build algorithms that are typically data driven.
- Hence, problems involving statistics, optimization, computer vision, machine learning, and natural language processing are of interest to this group.
- The team has built and deployed production quality machine learning algorithms solving unique problem statements for multiple startups in Talentica. Now we are growing at a rapid pace as so many startups have a machine learning component in them.
Know more about the Data Science Team
Some Machine Learning Problems Solved(last 1 year)
1. Automated Valuation Models for rent estimates of properties based on heterogeneous data sources
2. Convex optimization solution with Lagrangean relaxation for a network of wireless sensors
3. Estimating location of Bluetooth assets based on radio frequency signal strength
4. Detecting and extracting questions and key phrases from free-flowing and unformatted text
5. Pattern recognition and classification system to detect presence of single cells in a nutrient solution
6. Clustering similar regions in H&E stained histopathology images
7. Estimating network throughput using wireless characteristics
8. Recognizing sequential patterns in text to extract key information relevant to legal clauses
Scope for Hiring :
The hiring is for the position of a Principal Software Engineer with a Data Scientist role in the areas related to Natural Language Processing.
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Understanding the startup product, problem definition, identifying the solution
- Work as an individual contributor and deliver working code for the algorithms built
- Work with core Natural Language Processing and Natural Language Generation algorithms to build solutions from scratch
- Be prepared to work on a wide variety of problem statements involving text from biology background, legal background, news background or financial background
- Be prepared to generate data sets, manually label data if required, source data sets relevant to a problem
- Work with software development engineers to make the solution production ready
- Work on two problem statements simultaneously
- Take ownership and communicate with stake holders by way of show-and-tell
- Engage in research and publication work in areas beyond what Talentica is currently working on
Educational Qualifications :
- Has completed PhD preferably from one of the old IITs or IISc-Bangalore or universities of repute outside India
- Has completed full-time PhD degree in the areas aligned with Natural Language Processing
- Should have a Master's degree from IIT or IISc or IIIT-Hyderabad or ISI-Kolkata or universities of repute outside India
- Has at least one published full paper in conferences such as SIGIR/CIKM/EMNLP/CONLL
- Credited courses focused on linear algebra, stochastic models, pattern recognition, design and analysis of algorithms, machine learning, machine translation, natural language processing, data mining and information retrieval
Work Experience :
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Should like to work in a startup environment.
- Excellent programming skills and must be able to implement complex algorithms in Python
- Hands-on experience with use of standard natural language processing libraries and machine learning libraries such as Tensorflow, Keras, NLTK, OpenNLP, Spacy, Sk-Learn, ML-Lib
- Demonstrated experience in application of NLP algorithms for matching & retrieval, clustering, generating ontologies, machine translation, concept extraction, entity extraction
- Should be capable of converting theory to practice by reading relevant papers
- Should be capable of conceiving original ideas and implementing them as working algorithms