Director at Precision Agriculture For Development
Views:552 Applications:86 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:10
Precision Agriculture For Development - Full Stack Developer - Mobile & Web Apps (2-5 yrs)
Job opening - Full Stack Developer (Android & Web)
Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) is an early stage global technology enterprise using rich data and smart algorithms to help smallholder farmers make better production decisions. We are advised by top academics at Harvard and Brown Universities and backed by global funders. We are in advanced discussions in launching projects that will expand functionality of system and reach more than a million farmers within next two years in India alone.
- It's possible to boost production of major crops by 30% and reduce environmental impact simply by managing agricultural inputs better. Part of this promise has already been achieved in developed countries, where precision agriculture technologies have improved targeting of inputs to local conditions.
- PAD is adapting precision agriculture for smallholder farmers in the developing world. We are building an intelligent platform that provides individualized production recommendations based on theory and data. Our vision is better livelihoods for the poor, drawn from a more productive, environmentally-friendly landscape.
- In a rigorous randomized controlled trial in India, the alpha version of our voice-based service increased yields by 8.6-28%, with a social benefit to cost ratio of 10/1 (Cole and Fernando 2016). We have scaled up our pilot, growing from 200 to 56,000 users over the past 18 months in Gujarat.
- We are also operational in Odisha with 12,000 users, and are actively exploring expansion opportunities in Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
- Our ambitions are large: our funders include Silicon Valley venture capitalists and technology entrepreneurs, and we believe that technological innovations create new scope and opportunities to address rural poverty and close the global food production gap. We aim to improve the lives of100 million farmers in developing countries. To reach our goals, we will tap new technologies (like microsatellites, drones, smartphones, and machine vision), which have the promise to vastly improve the intelligence of our service and the quality of recommendations we provide to farmers.
- PAD's senior leadership team includes professors and global experts in technology and development with considerable combined experience in sub-Saharan Africa and India as well as deep expertise in data sciences and monitoring and evaluation. The board includes Professor Michael Kremer (Harvard University), Professor Shawn Cole (Harvard Business School), Professor Daniel Bj- rkegren (Brown University), and Heiner Baumann (Harvard Business School alum, former McKinsey).
- We are in advanced discussions in launching projects that will expand functionality of system and reach more than a million farmers within next two years in India alone.
- PAD's India team consists of alumni from IIM-Ahmedabad, IIT-Kanpur and Delhi College of Engineering with experience in management, research, and building start-ups.
Role & Responsibilities :
- The candidate would be required to develop and maintain software applications developed by PAD and third parties.
- Should be able to write unit test and document the code.
- Should be able to write automation scripts and manage DB and reporting.
- Should be able to manage/support existing infrastructure Eg : AWS.
- Should be able to manage and maintain code using VCS tools like Git, SVN etc..
- Should be able to support data migration to newer systems we develop/adopt.
- Should be ready to take challenges and work as independent contributor.
- Participate in technology discussion and come with solutions and suggestions.
- Should be able to adapt to new technologies.
- Gather feedback about specific needs from internal and external stakeholders to improve our products
- Should be able to travel, support & coordinate with other projects undertaken by PAD.
Desired Profile and Experience :
- Very strong in Computer Science fundamentals.
- Advanced knowledge of Core Java 7 or higher
- Should be able to write back-end Spring MVC rest services
- Extensive knowledge on MySql, Hibernate, ORM and SQLite
- Extensive knowledge on JSP, JQuery, Angualr JS
- Python scripting and concepts of machine learning
- Translate designs and wireframes into high-quality code
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the application
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Extensive experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
- Ability to work quickly with an eye towards writing clean, efficient, reusable code
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Other details :
Bhubaneswar OR Bangalore
Start date : As soon as possible.
Compensation : Competitive, to be negotiated based on experience.