Gap - Lead System Engineer - Unix/Linux (7-10 yrs)
Gap Tech drives innovative retail, e-commerce and global enterprise technology for our headquarters operations and our five iconic brands across the world. We push boundaries. We challenge the status quo. Innovation sits at the core of everything we do. And we- re not here just to execute; we- re here to learn and grow. As individuals, we are passionate, diverse, innovative and wickedly talented. As a team, we are making amazing things happen in our offices, our stores and our communities. We are diversifying our talent globally, and expanding our reach by opening a technology hub in Hyderabad, India. Growing over time, this center will become critical in enabling technology that powers Gap Inc. business globally.
Summary : This position provides system support for all UNIX/Linux based software by implementing, monitoring and maintaining systems and application software running under UNIX/Linux.
- The position also works with software vendors to provide optimum system performance and availability.
- We upgrade, consolidate, and leverage automation to improve and deploy services to these platforms.
- This role will support a global community and needs to be focused on stability and reliability of services to customers at all sites.
Key responsibilities :
- This position will be part of a talented team that is responsible for the growth, ongoing maintenance and development of a large-scale server farm running primarily on Linux and UNIX.
- Provide Level 3 support for complex system and applications, rolling out new systems, maintaining, migrating, upgrading and improving the long-term performance of the systems.
- Perform as a senior member of the systems administration team to support the installation, optimization, integration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, modification, security, and upgrading of IT systems and components to provide services that enable customers to effectively apply IT to business requirements.
- Have knowledge of tools and mechanisms for distributing new or upgraded software to ensure customers receive current versions of supported software, as they become available.
- Shall be able to work with other senior staff to recommend and design systems architecture and topology from both general and specific perspectives. Provide L3 support on a on-call support rotation model
Capabilities & Requirements :
Key Requirements :
- The ideal candidate must be a self-starter with strong work habits and have mid-level career experience in maintaining large numbers of UNIX servers.
- Deep Understanding of UNIX/Linux Fundamentals and concepts.
- Extensive System Administration experience with Red Hat and other Linux flavors.
- Strong experience in managing VERITAS cluster servers (VCS)
- Hands on experience with HP and Dell bare metal server deployments and automation
- Proven experience in VMWARE running large scale Virtualized environments
- Scripting experience, specifically with Ruby/Perl and shell scripting language to automate existing and workloads and routine system admim tasks.
- Experience with Chef / Puppet /CfEngine will be a big plus.
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP, BIND, LDAP and other core technologies such as Sendmail, NTP, TCP/IP, FCIP, iSCSI, SAN, NAS etc.
- Experience in resolving complex issues related to Break-fix Performance tuning and deployments.
- Extensive troubleshooting skills with Linux, network in complex App and DB environments.
- Strong understanding of network and server security
Nice to have :
- Experience implementing, administering and creating custom dashboards for performance monitoring/Metrics
- Experience with administering servers and storage within Openstack and Azure cloud environments
- RHCE, VSphereESXi, Openstack, AZURE/AWS certifications
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION :
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent experience in IT.
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in engineering and design capacities.