Application Support Engineer - Shell Scripting/Perl/Python (2-3 yrs)
We are looking for a Application Support Engineer
Position Description :
- You will work directly with the software developers that are creating and delivering state of the art applications that support the US Weather-Ready Nation initiative.
- Will take their code and install, configure, test and troubleshoot the applications in a Test environment and then move the application to operations where you and the team will support any issues that arise.
- Will maintain, monitor, and support complex, mission-critical software systems in an operational 24x7 enterprise environment. Will develop Linux scripts to automate, monitor, and deploy system components. Will maintain large and complex program/system; analyze program logic and logistics; improve efficiency; prepare program documentation.
- Provide clear documentation and standard operating procedures for system tools.
- Will implement new systems and system upgrades into the production environment. Will provide trouble-shooting for any developed software running in the clustered environment. Provide off-hour, on-call support (on a rotating basis with team members).
- Will interact with system stakeholders to field questions on operational configuration, system performance and application support. Will support software testing and implementation including debugging, integration testing, and test reporting and documentation for application and associated scripts and codes in a real time, operational environment.
You will be supporting the following applications :
- RADAR and other weather data displayed via ArcGIS
- Weather alerts to cell phones - (not a public site)
- Space Weather
- Water Models and processing
- Data Assimilation and distribution
- Next-Generation IT Web Services
In this role you will become familiar with or polish your skills with following applications and tools :
- VMWARE and VCENTER
- NETAPP Storage
- RedHat 6,7,8
- Postgres 9,10
Required Skills for Application Support Engineer :
- 2+ years of relevant experience related to the position. Must have intermediate knowledge of Linux/Unix operating system. Experience with Linux/Unix scripting including shell scripting, Perl, and/or Python.
- Must have working knowledge of procedural computer languages, such as FORTRAN, C/C++ and Python.
- Will need to be able to code monitoring scripts in bash and python and use your Linux skills to troubleshoot issues that occur while running in a virtualized environment.
- Ability to integrate with our team and the flexibility to be on call for ~1 week each month. Must be comfortable with standard office tools (Office and/or the google suite). Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Desired Skills :
- Expert knowledge of Unix/Linux operating environment
- Experience with scientific data dissemination and observation systems, especially in the NOAA/NASA/Defense environment
- Experience with weather operations, satellite operations, or numerical modeling principals
- Experience supporting a 24x7 mission-critical system
- Experience with change management tools such as Subversion, Bugzilla, Redmine, Git,
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Big Brother or Check_MK
- Experience with GIS and ESRI products
- Experience working in VMWARE Virtualized Linux environments.
Successful applicants should have a background in fundamental root cause analysis (troubleshooting) and are able to articulate what the problem is. Will work with developers, system administrators, and network engineers to develop logical and repeatable triage steps to determine why the problem occurred, and how it can be fixed and detected.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
Education : BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, related discipline, or equivalent.